Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Solterra

Good evening once again fellow progheads!  Spring has finally begun to make her entrance...better late than never I suppose.  To commemorate the start of the equinox I decided to go domestic this week...not to mention I am pretty low on clean laundry...

There are four specific time zones in the continental United States; certainly I can locate at least one good prog band somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, right?  Meandering my way left via the interstate system, I discovered a great prog sound bouncing off the Rocky Mountains.  Driving closer for a better listen, I find myself in Denver, Colorado enjoying the incredible sounds of Solterra.

Solterra is a self described "...four piece instrumental progressive fusion band..."  Hmmm...sounds intriguing at the very least.  Fusion can take on so many forms; are the top notes jazz-like, electronic-laden, or simply of the avante-garde nature?  Time to take off my shoes and start wading into the pool...

A preliminary listen oozes with fragrances of the Alan Parson Project, Dire Straits,Yes, and  Be Bop Deluxe, with a hint of Mostly Autumn folded in to create the diversity and chaos that is fusion...something tells me this is going to be a fun week to be in the "Mile High City."

My first trek to the prog smorgasbord this week is for a song called "Mild Electrocution."  The opening is suggestive of Pink Floyd at first and quickly drops to an  instrumental notch much akin to Alan Parsons...Solterra can really spread the wealth.  The interspersed recordings of early Apollo conversations between Mission Control and the astronauts give the song a bit of a surreal texture.  The guitar work throughout is extremely smooth and the drums fit the groove perfectly. This is a very well balanced piece of music and a great start to my week...so far the domestic option has been a success...

Returning to the buffet for my next serving I find a song with an appealing title; "Window Seat."  The initial pull is the imagery dancing in my head of what I might witness while sitting in a window seat.  Let's explore the view from Solterra's vantage point.  The rhythmic guitar is almost hypnotizing as it lures you in and sets the tone for a soothing prog ride.  The bass keeps everybody focused but not to the point of robotically following a simple "pop beat;" rather it pairs with the drums like a fine chianti embracing a soft fontina cheese...

Liner notes...originating in the summer of 2011, Solterra started with Ryan Bannigan on drums and Tanner Lichty on guitars.  Chris Dreiling joined the band playing bass following their initial EP release, and after the debut album "Soul>>Earth>>Sun" was thrust on the public for their listening pleasure, Ryan Sims was added on guitar to round out the quartet.  The second release from Solterra, "Umbra" hit the airwaves in November 2012.  This was the first production to include all four current members of the band.  If these two presses are any indication, Solterra will do just fine going through the aging process.

My third selection from the prog buffet this week is a tune called "Horseteeth."  No way I could walk pass that without at least a nibble--no pun intended.  This is an excellent instrumental piece from Solterra's initial release and if I did not know better I would swear Solterra had been playing together for years prior to this recording.  The guitar is as smooth as 25 year-old scotch and the drums are as subtle as the first morning dew of spring.  The mixing here is amazing as well--I played this song over and over and never got bored.  I kept picking up delicate notes that floated by almost undetected on the previous go-round.  It is a true pleasure to find a prog band this tight and even keeled...Solterra has a unique style that dances close to the jazz fusion line but don't be misled--these guys can swim in the deep end just as easily as wading in low tide. Check out Solterra at http://solterra.bandcamp.com/ and learn more about what really goes on in the Rocky Mountains...

The clip posted below is "Fear & Loathing."  I thought a little jolt would do you good.  The electricity in this tune is enough to keep you focused but not so much that you are looking for taser marks at its conclusion. Quite the contrary--you come away wanting more--exactly what progressive music is supposed to do...sate the appetite but leave you with just enough room for dessert.


OK fellow progheads, staying stateside this week was well worth it.  Not only did I get to sleep in my own bed all week, I also discovered a great prog band just two time zones away.  Solterra hit the world head-on claiming to be a prog fusion band and they delivered.  Think Yes with a Flim & The BB's twist and you are pretty close to the unique sound that is Solterra.  Now where is that dessert table?  Until next week...



No comments:

Post a Comment